Sailboats In Red & Blue and Pretty Zig Zags Too

Thursday, April 16, 2009

This project is from my sketchbook. . .remember all of those half-square triangles done up in red and blue? Initially, I had intended for this to be a baby quilt, but to incorporate all the elements I wanted, it turned into something a bit larger. . .let's call it toddler size. Perfect for that first big boy bed! For a little girl, I might substitute the boats for paper-pieced or appliqued flowers, all in pink and green, of course!

I'm thinking variegated thread for the quilting and a snappish red stripe for the binding.

I must have zig zags on my mind, here is a new project I've started using some of my favorite Heather Bailey and Sandi Henderson fabrics. The tutorial I used is found here. It's pieced on the diagonal and trimmed up to a 46" x 61" rectangle. . .no setting triangles. I hope to have this pieced by the weekend. 

There's another sew night at HRQ this Friday-translated this means lots of sewing, food and fun!

Happy sewing friends~

2 comments:

  1. I really like the combination of sailboats and zig-zags. It is an excellent way to stretch those special blocks into a larger project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sailboat and zigzag quilt is so adorable! I love how the sailboats act as an outside border. And your new zigzag in progress going to be so cheerful and spring-y. Wish I could come along to your sew night!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs