A Couple of Finishes

Saturday, November 21, 2009

These were the two quilts I had to finish by November 23rd. Last year about this time I posted about a project which I volunteer for~Evan's Heart. I help a local group of girl scouts make quilts for the Neonatal Unit at Sutter Memorial Hospital in Sacramento. This is the project we've done this year~A Disappearing 9-patch. The requested size was a 19" square, mine is a bit bigger~24" x 28". I should have pics soon of the girls' quilts as well, they're finishing their bindings this weekend! The babies these quilts go to are so very small. And sometimes a quilt is all mom and dad have to take home~a quilt which held their baby for it's short life. This is why Evan's Heart came to be.
There was a request from the hospital this year for boy quilts; and though not for a baby, this will go to the Pediatrics Unit for a special boy. Though, we generally never hear from the recipients, the nurses let us know how important and appreciated these small gifts of love are to the families. A run through the washer and dryer will have these all comfy and ready to go.
Oh, and this. . .this is how Bethany felt about getting up to go school yesterday. . .Yes, our household is definitely ready for Thanksgiving Break.

In my next post, I'll share "some old stuff" her words not mine, a fabric rep left for HRQ this past week, which my wonderful boss Carmen said I could have.

11 comments:

  1. What wonderful, thoughtful quilts for Evan's heart! I'm sure they will be very much appreciated! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet quilts! I seem to be drawn to making girl quilts lately. The colors are so soft I just can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh! I love that little blue quilt! Those zig zags and boats are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Dorrie for your comment on my blog. These quilts are so nice and Ryan's Heart sounds like such a rewarding and worthwhile reason to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful quilts for a wonderful cause...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neonates are very tiny...ours weighed less than a bag of flour! We were blessed and got to take him home though! Thank you for the beautiful quilts and the huge heart that makes them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, these quilts are adorable. I love 'em! How nice to be able to check them off your list. Hope Bethany is feeling better enough to enjoy the Thanksgiving break.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilts, you have done a lovely job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been looking for a sweet fresh idea for a baby quilt and love the top quilt especilly. You are such an inspiration! Em

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful, thoughtful quilts for Evan's heart! I'm sure they will be very much appreciated! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs