Winter Mini Quilt Swap 2010 & A Sweet Start

Sunday, March 7, 2010

My Winter Time Mini Quilt is finished! My latest free-pieced, raw edge appliqued mini~ Frightful Outside, Delightful Inside. . .This one travels to my swap partner in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Though, not a good picture~the label is a pair of mittens held together with mini rick rack.
Close up of the machine quilting; not without injury~I grazed my finger with the needle~reason #101 why to love a long arm. . .The sky is adorn with machine-stitched snowflakes sewn with an aqua iridescent thread. My partner's request was for something happy, I hope this fits the bill.
We just received the latest collection Sugar, by Patricia Bravo for Art Gallery Fabrics this week at HRQ. I've given new life to the old-fashioned cross block (I think it's more of a plus sign) using a modern fabric palette. The quilt will measure 60 x 60 once complete and is perfect for a fat quarter bundle with 12-15 pieces. It took 20 minutes to cut the entire top, but 2 hours fooling with color placement until I was happy with it.
Enjoy your week, my friends. We're due to have clear days in the mid-sixties~and yes, the kids are already questioning when the pool is going to be ready. . .Spring Break begins March 15th, I'm ready to have them all home for a bit. . .too bad the week is scheduled with hair cuts and dentist appointments. . .

Oh, and the Modern Quilt Guild of Sacramento is hosting it's first meeting this Saturday, Carmen and I (and maybe Amanda too) are going~we're so excited!

5 comments:

  1. The mini quilt is too cute! What a clever idea for the label and the quilting is perfect! If she doesn't like it, my mailing addy is:

    The "cross" quilt is beautiful! That's all I can say. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pool looks very inviting. I don't blame the kids one little bit!
    Love your quilty things. Looks like you've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I adore your winter mini quilt! What a lucky partner you have to receive this. I love those mittens and the quilting in the sky - just perfect. I also love Patricia Bravo's fabrics, but haven't tried any yet. Love those colors you're working with.

    I do need to buy a new swimming suit this season, so let me know when that pool will be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dorrie.... guess why I'm here ;) i stopped in to tell you how much I adore my little quilt! and tomorrow I will hang it proudly in my studio. Thank you soooo much! I totally heart the wee mittens on the back. Honestly?! Too cute.
    Bradie Sparrow

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs