Hexies, Treasure and Some Dessert Love

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Remember when I blogged about my hexies? And how I had a special plan for these. . .
Well, here's the nearly finished product~see the binding waiting so patiently? Haven't quite got to that yet. I've been participating the Hexagon Along, but I also made these in a bigger size 1.5". Instead of hand piecing, I fused these to a piece of sheer-weight interfacing. Being careful to snug them together really closely. It worked! Once fused, I layered it with batting and a backing piece and machine quilted 1/8" inside each hexy. I'm thinking of doing a table runner using this method.
This one however, will have it's place on the newly "trash to treasure" dresser Hayley and I just finished. I wish I'd taken before photos~you would have never believed it was the same piece. It had been faux painted with an oil base paint. It took two coats of stripper to remove all of the old paint. We sanded it, filled the nicks with wood putty, applied primer and then this wonderful blue-grey paint. Hayley and I found these shabby chic glass knobs at Target. We're both in love. It's in our sun room and will hold quilts (of course), board games and cards. My husband wants to put a flat screen on it, ah. . .NO! On the homefront, my mom celebrated her 78th birthday this past week. She came over and we celebrated with delicious taco salads, watermelon and her favorite dessert~homemade angel food cake with cream, chocolate sauce and berries straight from the garden. Happy Birthday mom!

4 comments:

  1. the quilting on your hexagons looks great! i'm going to need to keep that in mind when i start quilting mine. not that that is going to be happening any time soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an ingenius way to do the hexies! Much simpler and looks very cool and chic! Love the dresser and I think I just gained 10 lbs looking at the cake!

    Happy Birthday to your mom! Aren't they great!

    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the way you made that table runner! Ingenious! And what a lovely place to put it!! Sounds like lots of work though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are headed out to get some ice cream now! That dessert looks amazing - happy birthday to your mom! I adore your hexagon project. Sounds like a great way to piece them and use this lovely new treasure.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs