Farmer's Wife Quilt Along

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

This summer I'm participating in the Farmer's Wife Quilt Along. The goal is to complete two blocks each week for a total of 111 blocks. I'm armed with some of my favorite tools. And I've also decided to join the 21st century, and have downloaded the book to my Ipad (my very first!). The book itself is based on a contest held in the 1920's whereas wives of farmers submitted short essays as to why or why not they'd want their daughters to also become a farmer's wife. I can't decide which I like better, these anecdotal stories of 1920's farm wives or the blocks themselves. I know the frustrations I feel somedays being a modern day farmer's wife~the cattle get loose, a leak in the watering system, the neighbors horses eating your fruit trees etc., I can only imagine what it must have been like without a tractor, or running water and electricity in the barn~eek! But, I do enjoy the fresh eggs, knowing where our meat comes from and canning and preserving fruits and vegetables to enjoy throughout the winter. This project seems to be the perfect parallel for me at the moment.
I've sorted through my scraps and stash and picked out a few of my VERY favorite fabrics to use. I've been dying to use the newspaper print in blue forever, and it seems like a good choice for a background fabric.
Week 3 is currently underway, here are my blocks from weeks one and two.

Here are the fabrics I've picked for block #5. I love the Kaffe print with the aqua linen and dots; the miniscule gray dot seems to compliment the grouping. So, what do you think? Could you be a farmer's wife~or simply quilt along with us. . .

1 comment:

  1. Yours is going to be really beautiful with those fabulous fabrics you picked out. When I first saw this pattern, I wasn't too sure about it. But I love seeing the wonderful colors and prints you're putting together. Look forward to seeing your progress with this project!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs