Sunday, September 16, 2012

Something To Sew Sunday

 Today I'm starting some swap projects! For my DS Quilts swap partner, I've selected a collaborative of Denyse Schmidt fabrics along with a Kona Coal solid. My plan is to do some wonky pinwheel blocks. Because the perimeter edges are bias, I once again took to In Design to create a paper piecing template. I drew four templates just slightly different from one another~giving it just the right amount of wonkiness.  I'll leave the paper on until just before joining the blocks, allowing the edges to remain straight, thus a square quilt top!

My Neptune's Granny quilt is one of the long-term projects I have in progress. Here are 16 blocks I've made over the past week, with 3 made just this morning. My original plan was to do a 4x6 block layout with sashing. But. . . .I have enough Neptune and FS Arctic White to go much bigger. . .thus it's destined to be a bed size quilt. I love black and white photography; I often find it an important tool when selecting a fabric palette and with block placement.  This photo in particular shows me I need to add blocks with some darker color to that bottom row to achieve a more balanced look.


5 comments:

  1. Interesting to see it in black and white. really sets off the contrast doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great group of fabrics you have there and great tip re: B/W photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to hear about your current sewing projects! I haven't had much time for sewing, so I'm going to live vicariously through you. Both projects sound like the kind you can lose yourself in for hours on a free day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...I can't wait to see the quilt! I'm not good at visualizing...lol

    The b&w of the Granny Squares is cool!

    Hope the week treat you kindly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dorrie, I belong to the DS Doll Quilt Swap with you and was intrigued by yours posts on Flickr so jumped on over to your blog. In the above blog thread you mention In Design to create the foundation piece design. Can you tell me more about that?

    I purchased Electric Quilt 7 this week and am just learning my way around I found how to print patterns for paper piecing there. Would you tell me more about In Design?

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete